9/18/2014

Just another day at Planet

I woke up with this morning with a sore throat. There's two of us in our group that haven't gotten all sick and I don't want to join in that group! So I showered and got ready and did what any reasonable person would do--went back to sleep for a little while. It worked out perfect honestly though, because I woke up with enough time to get my stuff together and head out with Amber to go to the metro. There are some guys working on my host families house and our host dad was talking to them and the timing worked out to where he was leaving at just the right moment and took us both the Osokorky metro station, which is fantastic because then all we needed to do is jump on our bus to Planet. It's a funny thing with the bus system because there are a few types of buses: your basic city bus--cheapest, most of them are 1.50 Hryvnia on average. Many of them are what I loving refer to as the 'accordion bus' as pictured below. They tend to go a little slower (comparatively anyway) because they stop at every bus official bus stop.


They are also the ones I can use my green metro pass on, but only if there is the lady that comes around and collects the money/checks your pass, otherwise it is hit or miss. I really haven't figured out the reasoning behind it all yet because sometimes there are some buses that look all the same exact you pay the driver up front. Sometimes they happily take the green metro passes, sometimes they yell at you, or chew out at least, in Russian. It keeps life interesting.

Then there are the Trolley's that go around town. Lastly their are the marshrukas. They are fantastic. And crazy. And quite a bit more erratic in that they stop when someone calls out, "" or "". If the person forgets to call out ahead of time then the driver screeches to a stop, and says a few angry words, or shakes their heads and then we keep going on. They definitely get you where you want to faster. 

A little plug on all the drivers... You should just see how they drive! a hands width apart from other cars, people, or anything really, and fast!


School was all kinds of excitement. Kids crying, laughing, and running crazy. And then home sweet home. I wanted to sleep for a minute, but my little host brother came back from his lego class and wanted to play skip-bo. So we started a game and then ate dinner and now I'm off to bed.

0 comments: