Runnin' around
Wednesdays September 17, 2014 are great because normally I can just take my own sweet time getting ready for the day. Not today. with half of our group being sick I got a phone call asking if I could go teach morning ele. Why not...
I taught a 2nd grade class who thoroughly is okay with dog piling, punching, and yes, the teacher was there. Then I had fun with Kindergartners coloring, counting to 10, and going through the rainbow.
Then I got to teach the 10th and 11th graders. This group was fun. They were supposed to pretend to be getting ready for a job interview so we discussed what they would do, should do, and should not do. Rewind. Upon walking into their class, I really had no idea how much english they knew or didn't know. I had been working with kids who know hardly any english and without meaning to I was still talking a little slower than normal. The kids gave me this look and I stopped them and asked. "How much of what I say do you understand? All of it?" And for the most part they were like, "yeah.. pretty much." About 3 of the group of 16ish kids needed to hear it a little slower. So I restarted talking a lot more normal and we were off!
At the very end, resumes came up and the question we were on was about an organized, clean resume is far better than sloppy, not pleasant to look at. As an example of what I was saying I wrote my name on the board inside a chalk board resume and some of the kids started whispering. But we were already late so I finished up in a minute or two and we all said good bye and I left. Well I got lost and went down and up some stairs to get back to the classroom I was meeting up with Ashley in to go back, when I really just had to walk across. When I reached the door of the classroom my high schoolers were there already (looking around confused because I wasn't inside the classroom-getting lost can do that do you :) .) They were like, "We have a question for you!" and I said okay. And then the teacher was there too, and she restated that, saying, "the boys wanted to ask you something." And one of the boys said, "Do you know Jon Goodman?" and I laughed and said, "Yes! he is my brother." and they got really excited. They explained when I wrote my name up there and they saw Goodman they wanted to find out. Apparently Jonny is very fondly remembered- by both the teacher and students :)
I taught a 2nd grade class who thoroughly is okay with dog piling, punching, and yes, the teacher was there. Then I had fun with Kindergartners coloring, counting to 10, and going through the rainbow.
Then I got to teach the 10th and 11th graders. This group was fun. They were supposed to pretend to be getting ready for a job interview so we discussed what they would do, should do, and should not do. Rewind. Upon walking into their class, I really had no idea how much english they knew or didn't know. I had been working with kids who know hardly any english and without meaning to I was still talking a little slower than normal. The kids gave me this look and I stopped them and asked. "How much of what I say do you understand? All of it?" And for the most part they were like, "yeah.. pretty much." About 3 of the group of 16ish kids needed to hear it a little slower. So I restarted talking a lot more normal and we were off!
At the very end, resumes came up and the question we were on was about an organized, clean resume is far better than sloppy, not pleasant to look at. As an example of what I was saying I wrote my name on the board inside a chalk board resume and some of the kids started whispering. But we were already late so I finished up in a minute or two and we all said good bye and I left. Well I got lost and went down and up some stairs to get back to the classroom I was meeting up with Ashley in to go back, when I really just had to walk across. When I reached the door of the classroom my high schoolers were there already (looking around confused because I wasn't inside the classroom-getting lost can do that do you :) .) They were like, "We have a question for you!" and I said okay. And then the teacher was there too, and she restated that, saying, "the boys wanted to ask you something." And one of the boys said, "Do you know Jon Goodman?" and I laughed and said, "Yes! he is my brother." and they got really excited. They explained when I wrote my name up there and they saw Goodman they wanted to find out. Apparently Jonny is very fondly remembered- by both the teacher and students :)
At 1:00 we headed back to the School and ate lunch at Nyvky and did our regular teaching. After school we were meeting up with a guy from the branch that wanted us to befriend this girl around our age. We met up at Volodymer's Cathedral, which is one of my favorite cathedrals I have seen yet, and then he-Axel, bought all of us dinner at Mafia's pizza. It was pretty good. Axel actually showed us around inside the Cathedral and that was fun to because it was kinda a Mormon perspective in understanding the Russian Orthodox and the uniqueness of this particular Cathedral. There is more to this story, but at least now I've documented some of it!
0 comments: